Sacred in the Ordinary.

Sacred:
-dedicated or set apart for the service or worship of a deity
- worthy of religious veneration : holy
-entitled to reverence and respect

Sacrament: a : a Christian rite (as baptism or the Eucharist) that is believed to have been ordained by Christ and that is held to be a means of divine grace or to be a sign or symbol of a spiritual reality







She looked up at me, her eyes full of compassion and feeling. Her hands full of pastries. "Which one do you want?" Would it be wrong to say all of them, I thought. Yeah, I'm desperate. She passed me a delicious scone. The smell of the frosting close to divine. Mmmm.

I glanced over to see my son in the hospital bed. His hair gone. His face pale. He looked drowsy. The cartoon of choice was on but the sound low.

I sat with my friend and talked. I might have cried. I don't remember. What I do remember was the endearing feelings I have when I think of this friend... being with me and sharing in my suffering. I knew I could be completely myself and real and open. It was a partaking in the sacraments. Instead of bread... I had a scone... Instead of wine... I had coffee. This moment of "breaking bread" and fellowshipping.. was a sweet communion of a strange sort.

Not typical. Not in church. Not traditional. Not true "sacraments". But the presence of God was there... and that changed everything.

The comfort of a friend on a lonely night. Me and my swollen womb (containing my 5th child) and my second born lying on a hospital bed...who was slowly breaking my heart.

The presence of Christ can be felt when I encounter this friend. And it transforms me and changes me and makes me aware of His deep, sweet love for me. Sometimes love that comes from a willingness to bring Panera Bread on a dark and stormy night. And I am reminded...

I am not alone.

Comments

Jessica Rockey said…
Truer words were never spoken:) Love you friend.

Popular Posts