Saying Goodbye to my friend Celinda

My beautiful friend Celinda passed away yesterday evening. We haven't been friends for long but it didn't take but a minute for me to love her. She was that kind of person that snuck into your heart so quickly.

I remember the first time I met her.  I have the honor of working in nursery in children's ministry at my church.  One Sunday at church I was told by another member that there was a family who had a daughter with profound disabilities that needed to  be looked after in the nursery. My heart leapt. I was thrilled at the thought. I had the privilege of meeting Celinda and her husband that day. I expressed my excitement that I would get to work with their daughter, Lenita.

I have the joy of helping look after Lenita during the message on Sundays. She is in her mid-twenties, wheel chair bound and has the mind of an infant. But not only have I come to know Lenita I also got to know her mom, Celinda.

Celinda is one of those people that just radiate joy and peace. I feel like I've spent time with Jesus being around her. She was encouraging and uplifting and gave wonderful hugs. She was a precious member of the Living in Holland group in Chesapeake, a support group for Moms who have children with special needs. She was part of the groups beginning.

One of my last memories with her was her coming to my home to help me clean just before Covid. I was a hot mess. A train wreck. Overwhelmed by all the medical appointments. I had an absurd amount of medical appointments that week.. like, over 15... and there was- she came to MY home... kind and helpful. She said she was glad she could be of service. I felt so humbled. Here, my friend, with very full hands, with stage 4 cancer, would come and help me. She cleaned my bathroom.

Last night when Karina (one of Celinda's daughters, who has become another precious friend) texted to say her Mom's time on earth was coming to a close I had to fight back the tears. I started praying that God would give Celinda dying grace. That her last moments here on earth would be peaceful.

This evening I learned the news that my friend had passed away last night.

I was driving and there was a gorgeous rainbow in the sky and it gave me sweet hope that God is faithful to His promises. He is who He says He is. I look forward to the day when I will see my sweet friend Celinda again.

Celinda, there is so much more I wanted to ask you. So many more conversations I wanted to have. I also wanted to ask you to please give kisses to my sister Libby. I'm so thankful you are once again with your sister and the many precious saints that have gone before... So thankful for your life. So thankful that I had the gift of knowing you. Not as well or as long as I'd like but I'm trusting Jesus that we will literally have all the time in the world together someday. I love you my friend.

To Celinda's precious husband, Kirk, and children- Lenita, Karina, Elaina, Josiah, & Joanna,  I am so sorry for the loss of this amazing woman, wife and mother. She was and is such a gift to so many. I am asking the God of all comfort to comfort you and sustain you. Praying the Lord gives you grace for each moment. My words feel inadequate and insufficient to express all I would like to say but I'm thankful that even now Jesus is before the throne interceding on my and your behalf. I loved Celinda. Asking the Lord to sustain you and strengthen you and give you peace. We love you.

Comments

Popular Posts