Mother's Day: Celebrating Christ in our Joys, Struggles & Heartaches

I must confess that I hope for and long for and desire ideals. So my ideal Mother's Day would be somehow magically my kids wake up and shower and get ready for church and maybe someone would pause to make me a cup of hot tea on a tray with a flower and a card.

Instead, reality occurs. Mike is gone to worship team so he's away early. He was sweet and left me my favorite shake at my bedside. Libby (my only girl) went with him. Smart move. The boys are yelling at each other. Impatient. Unkind. And I even heard the word, "butt head" screamed towards another brother.

Boys are piling in their shower and also  using my bathroom to  shower so I can't get dressed or ready for church. My shower curtain was also put in the tub instead of outside the tub and is now completely drenched. The small irritations of the day beginning to pile up.

It's mother's day but it feels like a day more of how can we annoy Mom than anything. I deal with the anger and shame of myself for wanting to be celebrated today. This is not my day. Motherhood is not about getting what you want. It's about sacrifice and giving to others and laying down your life, your desires. And learning to breathe in the midst of chaos.

And as I rant about my mornings struggles I am reminded of others that have it so much worse... those that long to be Moms and can't. Those who have miscarried and lost babies along the way. Those that have lost their Mom's and are bearing the pain and grief of that loss. Those that have aborted their babies and lament their loss. Single Mom's who don't have the support of a partner to bear their burdens and share their joys. So in comparison, I have it pretty dang good. 

But I think God's heart is bigger than all of this. Bigger than my pettiness. Bigger than comparison. And also bigger than the loss, grief, heartache that is being carried. His heart is that He loves us. He knows us. He knows our individual struggles and weaknesses and heartbreaks and heartaches and longs to comfort us. He knows what it is to be in trenches... the never ending diapers and spit up and cleaning up vomit and applying wash cloths to  fevered heads. He knows the mental and emotional anguish of unmet expectations and hopes deferred. He knows the heartbreak of the wandering child who is running as far away as possible into a pit.

He understands the prodigal child. He understands the toddler tantrums. He relates to us as women. I love the imagery that is used in Luke (13:34)... that He longs to gather us like a hen gathers her chicks to her breast. Or Isaiah 45:19... would you forget the child that you are nursing how much more will He not forget you! He has that intimacy towards us.


So I pause and listen... the shower head is dripping in my bathroom. Apparently my kids have forgotten how to turn the shower all the way off... life is imperfect. It's full of small annoyances and the mind-numbing mundane at times. it's not all glorious. It's not all instagram pic worthy, right?! But it's good. 

It's good to train the kids you have. Every time you clean a spill or make a meal or drive the kid to the activity we can do it as unto Christ. Motherhood has been about making me a different person. A little more kind. A little more slow to speak. It's also a constant reminder how I am in need of a Savior. I need Jesus. We need Jesus friends. We can't do this apart from Him. His grace is sufficient and His power is made perfect in our weakness. In our weakness friends. Not in perfection or picture perfect living. Not in having the best made most beautiful homes or meals or activities.

I hope you feel loved  and celebrated today if you are a Mom. And if your hope was deferred of being a Mom that you feel loved, seen, known and important. And if you lost your Mom that you feel God's closeness to you. 

Whatever season of life you are in you are known my friends. not just merely known, but perfectly loved. Praying blessings over your day. Happy Mother's Day!

Comments

Popular Posts