On the Eve of My 34th Birthday...

In a matter of a couple hours it's my birthday. My Mom says it's not officially my birthday until 10:21 p.m. but hey June 3rd is the DAY on which I was born... hence birthDAY.... So it's almost time to celebrate.

As I reflect on another reminder of time passing I'm struck with awe at how God has shaped and molded the course of my life thus far. I'm nowhere near where I thought it would be.... haven't accomplished as much as I thought I would... and have way more kids than I guessed I'd have... and have been richly blessed more than I could have imagined.

 The last 10 years have in particular have been more challenging, difficult, trying, painful, than I thought possible. But they also have been a time to teach me about persevering, faithfulness, endurance, and persistence. But what's funny is I would have thought I was the one growing in those last things and instead realize I'm more aware of God. That God is persistent. That God is faithful. He has endured. He has persevered.

God is unchanging. He remains the same. Good. Patient. Loving. Merciful. Gentle. Slow to anger and abounding in love. In the midst of my shifting situations, experiences, and circumstances He is constant.

I also realize how quick I've been to take credit for Him. Try to steal His glory. And so instead I want to say this... Any good thing that I've done, any ways in which I've grown, anything that points to something positive is His work. It's what He's done. And I'm so thankful He's using me. He's not given up. He doesn't dismiss me and say I'm a failure. He continues to change and mold me into His likeness. Continues to show me my need for Him. And that His grace is enough.

And I'm going to choose to celebrate with gratitude the life God has given me. I'm going to spend the day with my 5 fabulous and most certainly crazy kids and we're going to enjoy the beautiful creation God has made... at the beach. I will be enjoying the day that God gives me... whether full of adventures or misadventures. Full of joys and disappointments.  Ups and downs. And praising my God who sees it fit to let me celebrate another birthday.

Enjoy the day with me. Take in the sunshine. Laugh at the mishaps. Eat some chocolate. Laugh with a friend. Or if your day doesn't allow this... Comfort those in their loss. Encourage the overwhelmed or disheartened. Hug those near and dear and tell them you love them.

May you experience God afresh today.

I know I've said it before but one of my favorite songs is on my heart... So I repeat the lyrics again...

Great is thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me

Morning by morning I wake up to find
The power and comfort of God's hand in mine
Season by season I watch Him, amazed
In awe of the mystery of His perfect ways
All I have need of, His hand will provide
He's always been faithful to me

I can't remember a trial or a pain
He did not recycle to bring me gain
I can't remember one single regret
In serving God only, and trusting His hand
All I have need of, His hand will provide
He's always been faithful to me

This is my anthem, this is my song
The theme of the stories I've heard for so long
God has been faithful, He will be again
His loving compassion, it knows no end
All I have need of, His hand will provide
He's always been faithful, He's always been faithful
He's always been faithful to me

He's Always Been Faithful ~ Sara Groves                                          

Comments

Popular Posts