Salsa on the floor, swearing and other ways God is sanctifiying me.

So I'm looking at buying this t-shirt that says, "I love Jesus but I cuss a little."

I do love Jesus. But I do cuss a little.

It's been a struggle for a long time. I remember being in a Single's Group meeting sharing sin struggles and confessing that I struggled with cussing. I was really putting myself out there. It was awkward and I felt ashamed. But I was exposing my true self.

When my sister died my cussing increased exponentially.

So, when I opened the fridge a couple days ago to pull out my cold brew and a large bowl of salsa came flying out of the fridge at me I was shocked when I didn't cuss. Now, I'm not talking about that I didn't say it out loud. I'm getting better at swearing in my head. I didn't even cuss in my mind! Whaaat?!

I'm talking salsa splattering all over the fridge and freezer. All over my pajamas. All over the kitchen rug. And I didn't swear, not out loud or silently.

God is at work! He's changing me! It was exciting. I am not the same person I used to be.

I went about my business. I came to my bedroom to work on some writing project and Mike told me, "Hey hon, you accidentally placed an Amazon order to my work place." Immediately, I said out loud, "Oh Sh*@!"

Sigh.

Well, that lasted real long.  My non-cursing streak lasted me a whole 20 minutes.

I didn't even realize it was going to come out of my mouth.

Thankfully the amazon order was a quick fix. Cancel order. Send it to our home address. And it wouldn't have been a big deal if it had shipped. I thought I had accidentally shipped something to one of his projects in CA. But it would have shipped to his office locally in VA. No big deal.

So the issue here isn't about whether or not you think swearing is a sin. The issue I'm trying to get at is progressive sanctification.

I'm not "fixed" yet. I don't have my crap all together. Clearly.

I used to believe that God couldn't work in me because I didn't have it all together.  Now, I'm understanding He works in me and through me in spite of me!

I'm not disqualified because I cuss.

Wow.

God uses all people.

I was sharing this with Mike this morning and he told me it would be good to listen to Alex's message on sanctification. (Link in the comments) I missed it because I was serving in the nursery at church. I love though how God is already lining up in my heart and preparing me for what I missed.

So I'm in process people. I'm making progress. But I have by no means arrived.

Where do you see yourself growing?

Comments

Jennifer said…
You can hear Alex's message here
https://redeemer.live/archives/romans-sanctification/

Popular Posts