Response to School Shooting in Conneticut

My heart is broken. I was sitting in the car listening to K-Love when the news came on to announce a school shooting in Southern Connecticut. 26 dead of which 18 were children. Life comes in perspective in these moments. My anxieties about my holiday planning, the concerns about parenting, and life in general seem to evaporate quickly like morning dew.

I have four children in elementary school. I can't imagine the heartache that these parents are facing. I can't imagine the fear that the survivors are feeling. When you can't send your small children to school with peace in your heart...

It's taking everything within me to not rush to my kids school and pick them up.

How do we deal with tragedy like this? How do we trust in God's goodness in spite of such evil that is present in this world?

Honestly I don't have answers. I still trust and believe in God's goodness... and I hold onto the knowledge that He's in control. And though that control sometimes doesn't look like what I think it should, I'm trying to give Him my fear....


God is our refuge and strength,
a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way,
though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam,
though the mountains tremble at its swelling. Selah
(Psalm 46:1-3 ESV)

Right now the earth is giving way for these families and these children. Let's lift them up in prayer. May God comfort their hearts in the midst of such pain and heartache.

My peace doesn't come from the knowledge that this can't happen to my children and my family but in the knowledge that even though evil DOES happen and does occur that God is with us in the midst and He has promised to never leave or forsake us. And he has promised that though everything feels wrong now, one day everything will be new. Only the Messiah's death shows that God understands how bad this world is tainted and only Jesus' resurrection can answer tragedy by promising the resurrection of his people.

Holding onto the promise that He will make all things new One day.... and I'm longing for that day...

Comments

Popular Posts