Picture Perfect 4th.

If I was on staff, writing for Martha Stewart's Living Magazine or a Better Homes and Garden's writer for the 4th of July I would have been in heaven yesterday. Talk about a picture perfect event.

Mike and I drove to the Northern Neck of VA yesterday for a family reunion. I had the kids decked out in red, white and blue. We arrived to a beautiful home by the River and enjoyed a fun day of eating, swimming, and boating. The kids had a blast. Everything was amazing to look at. Beautiful day.

I was struck by the coordinating 4th of July theme. The red, white and blue cups, napkins, plates, balloons, pin-wheels in a vase of M&M's. Star decorated cookies. And little American flag hacky-sack balls. It was really cute.

The great thing was I was too busy enjoying it to take a single picture. I enjoyed getting to see Mike's family... it had been some years since we had the opportunity to see them.

I had home-made peach ice-cream... out of this world.

The kids left tired but happy and Mike and I enjoyed watching random fireworks on the drive home.

I was thinking about things that are picture-perfect. I know personally I'd like to have a picture-perfect life. I'd love to have it "all-together". I want people to think I'm a great wife, mom, friend, etc. BUT the truth is I'm not. I don't have it together... not even close. And it's good. I think if I did have it all together I would be self-righteous, judgmental, and less dependent on God. I mean, if you're already "god" who needs God?

The other temptation is to see others as having it together... it looks like "that" person has a picture-perfect life. Maybe they have a large home or the car you've dreamed of, the perfect job, spouse, or children. The perfect body. Or the perfect giftings/abilities. BUT guess what, they don't. We, each of us, have our own fallings, failings, pitfalls, struggles, imperfections. We are each tempted to be dissatisfied and discontent with what we have. We long for more, we long for other, we long for what we don't have... or we long to NOT have what we do.

I know I'm tempted to look at other people's lives and wish I had it as "easy" as they have. I then stop and think, "Do I really want their life?" I haven't walked a mile in their shoes. And I rejoice in the things God has shown me with what He has given me.

There are moments I don't want to be a parent of special needs children. There are times I struggle with wishing we were financially secure or had a reliable vehicle. But God is using the opportunities in my life to remind me of Himself and my need for Him and that He will supply all my needs.

In days that are dark there is the temptation toward hopelessness. I fall into the comparison pit and think, "Why can't just something go right or be easy?" Ha. How many things are right in my life?! My children and my husband are alive. We don't have terminal illnesses. We have a home to live in, food to eat, and clothes to wear. And He provides above and beyond what we need. He gives us luxuries and little treasures and presents. He's given us salvation and hope. He's given us friends and family. He's given us comfort in mourning. He's given us Himself.

So, if only I can remind myself to stay in a place of gratitude right?

It's not that simple though. Life is hard. It's challenging. It's difficult and complex. And I realize that I'm human and it's okay to struggle. God isn't shocked. He isn't surprised. He's faithful and good and He lovingly brings me to Himself time and again.

And maybe my longing for picture-perfect is a small glimpse or taste of my longing for the One who is picture-perfect. Maybe part of my craving for perfection is because there is One who is perfect... and He's calling me to become more like Him.

I don't know if what I'm saying makes sense. I hope it does. This tired, weary pregnant woman is trying her best to express herself. So, there it is...

Comments

Anonymous said…
thank you

Popular Posts