Tough questions and a trip to the ER

I was awoken just shortly after 5 this morning. We got a call and thought something was wrong. Thankfully nothing was up but the phone had been pressed early in the a.m. and we were the recipients. All is well.

But Libby had been slapping and kicking me for most of the night and Samuel was begging for a "bar" to eat.

So I find myself up, unable to go back to sleep. The mist is rising over the pond and dew is still on the ground.

I thought I'd have time in the quietness of this morning to write...but just as I sit down at my computer I am interrupted by a little, "Hello, Mama." Samuel has come to join me at the table and is working on a puzzle.

I came down bleary eyed and practically stumbling. I open the fridge... I don't even know why and glance at a bowl of freshly picked tomatoes from the garden. I close it. I stroke the leaves on my lamb's ear plant which always comforts me.

Currently I am being serenaded by my four-year olds rendition of "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star." He's observant to ask if the sun's coming out. It already is out though. It's been out for a while in fact. I had no idea the sun was already "out" this early.

All last week I had this headache that would not go away. Sometimes it was just annoying and other times it was migraine strength. After talking with the doctors office they told me I can take Excedrin Migraine. It's Tylenol based (aceteminophen) and I'm in my second trimester. Thank God. It really helps.

Two nights ago I ended up in the ER. I was having contractions and sharp abdominal pain. I discovered that I had an infection and was dehydrated. Now for those of you who know me well you know I'm a HUGE water drinker. I constantly have a water bottle with me and am perpetually drinking from it. I was surprised to find I was dehydrated. Apparently because of my pregnancy and the summer heat I'm supposed to drink 10-12, 12 oz. glasses of water every day. Holy Cow. That's well over a gallon. So now I'm kicking it up a notch. I drink until I have water belly. You know when you can feel the water sloshing inside you.

The baby is a little mover and shaker. He loves to move. This morning I felt like he decided to run a marathon... or maybe just gallop around for a while. He's already moving so hard Mike could feel him moving LAST week. Crazy, huh?

It's the first of July today. Where is the time going? It's escaping like sand between my fingers. It passes on whether I feel like it's going too slow or too fast. It has no regard for what I feel.

It took it easy yesterday. I was tempted to go to my water aerobics class but thought better of it. If my uterus was just contracting I should probably give it an activity break.

I must confess while I was laying in the hospital bed tears kept streaming down my face. I was struggling with fear. I knew if the baby came it would be too early. I knew he wouldn't make it. I once again had to consider what do I really believe about God. Do I really think He's in control? Would I still think He's loving and good if he took this baby away?

Libby asked my Mom a tough question that night when I was in the hospital. "Is Mommy going to heaven tonight?" Glad I wasn't the one to be asked that question. Whew. There's my poor Mom watching all four kids and being asked if her daughter is going to die. My Mom told her "Not tonight." Libby's response was "People do die." My mom nodded in agreement.

Yes, indeed. Do I know that well. Do we know that well. People do die. One thing I learned with the loss of my sister is that people do die. The "worst" can happen. We're not protected from suffering and loss just because we're Christians. The Sun shines on the just and unjust and all that.

So I lay in that hospital bed knowing that even though God is in control, if it was His timing, this baby was going to go. How would I respond? I'd like to say my heart was full of thanksgiving and praise and trust and that my faith was exploding in my soul. No. My response was grief. My thoughts were more like, "God I want to trust you but that would be really hard and I don't think I could handle it." and "Please Jesus don't take my baby." and "Oh shit. Am I going to lose something precious to me once again?"

I can't begin to express my relief that I was sent home with a prescription for an antibiotic and told to drink water, drink it some more, and drink again until my pee was clear. I loved those instructions. Do you know how hard that is when you take a pre-natal? Prenatals make your urine yellow. I can't remember if it's B vitamins or what it is... BUT, Okay, I got the point.

So the thoughts that linger now are... is this a preview of what is to come? Am I going to be on bedrest? If so, who will care for my children? Am I going to be hospitalized... again? The temptation for fear, worry, and honestly, dread are on the horizon. So I have to fight. Right now, I am NOT on bedrest. Tomorrow might be a different story but I need to dwell on today and how God is going to meet and provide for my needs TODAY. Let my tomorrows take care of themselves. They are in God's hands.

I interrupt these thoughts to... you guessed it, drink some water.

I think I'm going to go back to bed. Being up this early is making me uber nauseous. Maybe I can fall asleep now... before the day truly starts.

Comments

Anonymous said…
My times are in your hands, O Lord. Those times I am afraid, I will trust You O Lord. You have said You will never leave me or forsake me. Help O Lord....my mind and heart will be at perfect peace as they are stayed on You. Help me Lord not to stagger in unbelief when times get tough and I do not see the Son. Held by Your almighty power, help me to rest in You To whom else can I go? You have ALL the keys to my doors of life.

I will be there with you, Jen. I love you.....ABBA FATHER
Anonymous said…
JL, I am so glad you are okay. I was praying very intensely for you, trying to trust God with whatever the outcome would be. How gracious our Heavenly Father is...it could have been so much more.

I think it's interesting that you're being required to drink much more water. It is true that you already drink LOTS of water every day (Kudos) and that amount should naturally increase in pregnancy and the summertime but two other things come to mind:

1) Your dependence on the Lord for everything you need and do will be increasing a lot in the (near) days to come and you need to be drinking from Him all throughout the day--far much more than you even do now.

2) The enemy is real and will be attacking you frequently.

You will have to fight the lies that He whispers throughout the day with the truth of God's word (your double-edged sword) in the full protection of the armour of God, which He has clothed you with (maternity style, yeah).

He will go behind and before you and continue to lead you by His Spirit. (Drink, drink, drink.)

Man, I have to say, I was right there with Libby (dear heart) a couple days ago...considering the realities of a fallen world: Pain. Corruption. Death...

I was afraid for you and was battling lies from the enemy and God graciously kept putting this verse on my mind as I prayed for you:

"God is in the midst of her, she will not be moved."

The whole passage says:

"God is our refuge and strength,
a very present [2] help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling. Selah

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy habitation of the Most High. God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved; God will help her when morning dawns.

The nations rage, the kingdoms totter; He utters his voice, the earth melts. The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah

Come, behold the works of the Lord, how he has brought desolations on the earth. He makes wars cease to the end of the earth; he breaks the bow and shatters the spear; he burns the chariots with fire.

“Be still, and know that I am God.I will be exalted among the nations,I will be exalted in the earth!” The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah"

Dear friend, the next few months will be difficult (for natural reasons) and we're not sure how things will play out...but we know we can trust Him.

Remember that the Lord is in you, in the midst of you, and He is your hope and your victory.

I know that was lengthy. I hope your heart is encouraged some. Praying for you daily.

Love you,

K
Ashleigh said…
Jennifer, I'm praying for you. I know those feelings of wondering what the fate of a preborn baby -- who is already loved and wanted -- feels like. And, honestly, I think the grief you felt at the thought of something happening was an appropriate response. I'm so glad your little boy is OK and is staying put in your womb. I can't wait to see pictures of his cute little face come late Fall. Will be praying -- praying for peace, for strength, for health. I'm almost done with his quilt, by the way. :-)

Popular Posts