Mice

Mice
by Rose Fyleman

I think mice
are rather nice.

Their tails are long,
Their faces small,
They haven't any
Chins at all.
Their ears are pink,
Their teeth are white.
They run around
The house at night.
They nibble things
They shouldn't touch
And no one seems
To like them much.

But I think mice
are nice.

This was probably one my absolute favorite poems as a child. So why did I scream when I saw a mouse darting around my living room floor last night. Not once, not twice, but three times the brave little vermin has showed his head... or is it they have shown their heads... I have no idea how many of them there are. so we have set up traps for the past week or two and have caught zero mice. Someone suggested borrowing a cat and that will keep them at bay. I don't know why it's so unnerving. I remembered as a teenager opening my parents silverware door and a little mouse rushed out of the drawer, leapt onto me and slid all the way down... I think that's what did it for me. They are kind of cute when they stop and look at you but I don't really enjoy sharing my kitchen with any type of rodents.

I read Libby "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" all the time but I never thought about one or several trying to move in on our territory. Thankfully my brave, strong husband is wonderful about dealing with pest problems. Yeah, Mike! You are my hero!

Comments

Ashleigh said…
I remember when we had a mouse in Virginia at our condo. I felt the same way ... I did not want to share my kitchen with it.

Olivia loves the book "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie." We got it on a recent trip to the library.
AmyB said…
Hey Jennifer, oddly enough, I just read something about catching mice! It suggested, that if your mice are smarter than the trap (assuming the trap is one with food in it), for a couple of days, put food in it without setting it, then they get all good and comfortable going there. Then, after a couple days you put food in AND set the trap. So they mosey on in to get their breakfast and WHAM! :-)
Jenn said…
Jennifer, I HATE MICE I HATE MICE I HAVE MICE "chant with me" :)
When we had recently moved into our home last year, we arrived home and were opening the garage door. As we opened it to go in, a mouse ran in and got into a little hole in the garage. I was so upset about the mouse and afraid it would jump out, I would not park in the garage for A LONG TIME!!!
Anyway, thought you might enjoy that story.
Love you! Jenn
(And the kids are so cute in their bunny pics)
Billie said…
Once growing up we had mice...we killed them with a trap that had peanut butter in it. I am sure you have tried everything but if not that might work. Everyone must go through the mouse in the house situation at some point in their lives....sorry you have had two experiences.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Judy said…
Hey Jennifer! We too are plagued with mice from time to time. It totally grosses me out. They used to live in our garage, then became brave enough to come live in the PANTRY & make a home in a box of oatmeal. How gross is that? One mouse in particular liked to make an appearance when we had guests over. Lovely. Anyway, we haven't had trouble with them in a long time. We used some kind of poison in the garage, but not in the house though. Mice are just gross, plain & simple. Hope you conquer them soon. :)

Popular Posts