Encouragement.

Cherish yesterday.
Dream tomorrow.
Live TODAY.

These words brought comfort to me. I was browsing in one of my favorite stores, Michaels Arts & Crafts, and saw this quote. It brought tears to my eyes. Yes, I want to cherish my memories. Look and dream and expect with hope the future. But I want to live today. To live for God. To be consumed with Him and His glory and to LIVE! Jesus came to give us life and life more abundantly! (John 10:10)

Yesterday I went to a Young Mother's Breakfast at church. I was so encouraged and blessed to be there. I secretly went dreading the time there. I thought it was going to be a "do this or that better", "keep on keeping on", "do more try harder" kind of time. It was NOT. Nothing close to that.

Instead it was refreshing, encouraging, and gave me some much needed perspective and HOPE! I was reminded once again that my satisfaction comes from Christ alone. There is nothing else that will satisfy. Not even being a godly mother and being a good parent will satisfy. Christ alone.

I was also reminded of the lies of this world: looking to our appearance and a focus on youth and beauty, judging your worth by your production and output (achievement, goals, and how many boxes you've checked on that to-do list), and that we deserve happiness. I've bought those lies. But oh to be refreshed and reminded that God looks at the heart, not the appearance of man or woman :) (1 Samuel 16:7)

If I was to look at my worth by how much gets done I would be hopeless. All the work I do gets undone every day and sometimes in a matter of minutes. But to know that what I do to the least of these I have done unto Christ (Matthew 25:41-46). And to know that happiness is not the focus. We will experience suffering, hardships, and trials- our hope comes from focusing Heavenwards and towards Christ... not from this temporary world.

I was blessed by the ministry time that followed. I received prayer that spoke directly to my soul. And I was encouraged and refreshed. Not to mention, I also enjoyed a fabulous breakfast, Mike took care of the kids, and I won a massage as a door prize. So, yes, I was amazingly blessed.

I got to have lunch with some friends and I enjoyed the conversation. We discussed what we had just heard and I was encouraged to hear how others were affected. Although I must confess, I do think the message was for me. :) I've never had a message so directly speak to my heart where I wanted to jump up every 10 seconds and say, "Amen! Amen!" and applaud and cheer.

Well, I'm going to go exercise before the kids wake up and we need to get ready for Church.

I'm so blessed.

Comments

Lizzy said…
Jennifer, i have been praying for you and wept alongside you as I read your post about grieving last night, but was soooo encouraged to read today's post of how God, in His intimate love and care for you, is meeting you during this time and tenderly caring for your soul. Thank you so much for posting how the ladies' breakfast ministered to you. although i was not there, i felt like i was just from reading your post. I will continue praying for you, friend.
anne said…
THAT is awesome Jennifer. I'm so thankful that God have you that time and encouragment you needed, and that you felt him near and desire him more.
AMEN!
Anne
Katherine M. said…
You are loved, Jennifer!
Anonymous said…
JL--thanks for sharing this. Very insightful. I'm grateful you were so encouraged and have shared this with us. Love you so much.

KJ

Popular Posts