more than mommy.



Who is that woman?
It's me.

Sometimes I forget what I even look like. All of my former dreams and ambitions have been pushed back onto a back burner. Where's the artist? The globe-trotter? The thin image I used to recognize... ha. The writer. The finisher of projects? The happy-go-lucky, ignorance-is-bliss girl....

She's traded her purse for a diaper bag. her time to herself for time with others. Her conversations with adults for silly songs with Larry. Her chick-flicks for Disney films. Her style for whatever has the least stains. A day at the beach for a day at the park. Perfume for smeared applesauce and yogurt.

Have I become a mere mommy? A diaper-changer? Bottom-wiper? Dish-washer? Nanny? Cook? Nurse? Chauffeur?

All of these roles. The ones I cherish and the ones I don't so much... they all fade. I am Christ's. I belong to Him. I am His. I have to remind myself of these truths. I'm not just a wife or mother all though I love being those things. I am God's child. His precious lamb. And although I don't deserve to be these things He has bought me with a price and made me His own.

The days have been tough and I don't feel like I have the energy to make it through to the end of the day. I'm tired and I long for respite. I long to crawl in bed and pull the covers over my head. It's when someone spills milk -when they drop their cup and I go to clean it up and then after the floor is clean the other toddler does the same thing- that makes me wonder what's the point. But I do these things as unto Christ. I comfort the crying babe, wipe the snotty nose, clothe the naked child, feed the hungry toddler, and nurse the sick infant... I do these things as unto the Lord.

Matthew 25: 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, [6] you did it to me.’

So you moms out there- especially the ones with little ones- you are doing a great work. Do not give up hope. Do not despair. The Lord sees your work. He sees your efforts. He sees the work that gets undone everyday. He rejoices. He loves you.

I have traded shallowness for depth. Happiness for JOY. The temporary for eternal. My life for Christ's.

Comments

Wendy said…
What a cutie looking up at you! And your hair looks great longer!! Love it. Thanks for the encouragement Jenn!
Anonymous said…
Very good, Jennifer.

I think those words will really bring encouragement to mommies. Thanks for sharing the verse. This is what we all need to be doing in every season of life.

I love you.

KJ
Anonymous said…
With the truth well embedded in your heart, you will not just make it "somehow", but victorious Keep on soaking in the word. It is paying biggggg dividends not only to you, but to others. You are involved in such a significant "profession" in the Master's workshop, so keep up the good job....and by the way, yes, you are beautiful!
Kate Van said…
you are a beautiful mommy- inside and out! i so admire you.
Jessica Rockey said…
Amen! Love you, friend! It was great to have visiting time the other day. I have my pink roses by my bed... they're fabulous... and remind me of my fabulous friend!
Kelly said…
This post brought to mind a couple of things...

How our Father views you... "You have stolen my heart, my sister, my bride; you have stolen my heart with one glance of your eyes, with one jewel of your necklace." SS 4:9 Just one look from you and His heart is captured...

Our culture tries to tell us that beauty is limited to young, thin women, but it's simply not true. To borrow from Maya Angelou's Phenomenal Woman... "It's the reach of my arms, the span of my hips, the stride of my step, the curl of my lips. I'm a woman Phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, That's me."

Jennifer, there is no denying your outward beauty. It is easily seen. But you also capture something more... The warmth of your voice, your loving heart and generous nature. All of these are part of the makeup of the beauty that is you.

Popular Posts