Ditch the Standards, Keep the Kids.

It's funny how our standards have changed. What used to be being a good Mom meant that you fed your kids, you read them books, you changed their diapers til they were potty trained. You did their laundry. etc.

Now the standard has been raised, Now you need to be the ultimate homemaker, throw the most amazing birthday bashes, cook the most delicious organic, gluten-free, allergy-free meals, run marathons, be the perfect resource for all academic needs, drive kids to dance and sports and music lessons and language classes, run their own business, all while staying full of energy, looking fit with perfect hair and make-up and having enough leftover to take care of all their spouses needs. You know what I'm talking about...

It's no wonder we moms are tired. We have ridiculous expectations put on ourselves by ourselves and by society. This isn't realistic.

What if instead we thought... "I'm a sinner in desperate need of a Savior. I need Jesus wholly and completely. Every hour I need Him and I can't do life or parenting without Him. My parenting is going to look different from others because I am different. I have different children and different circumstances. And it's okay. I'm going to do the best I can with the power of the Holy Spirit leading and guiding me. And all the stuff that in unnecessary is extra."

Am I saying it's wrong to be crafty? To make nutritious meals? To take care of whatever special needs there are? To be a great educational resource? To be in good health? To take care of yourself?

Havens no! It's great to do these things. But it's when these things rule us, overwhelm us, and we bow down and worship them... worship these ideals. Worship being perfect... or at least projecting a perfect image. That's the problem.

Instead I'm learning to humble myself and tell myself, "God is enough. His grace is sufficient. I'm going to pour out my love to my kids today and trust God to meet their ultimate needs."

I don't know if I'm making sense to you or not. I hope so.

Rest in God's grace. That we don't need to do it all or have it all or be it all. He is enough. He is our prize. He is our very great reward. And so we can hang up our superhero capes. We can rest in His finished, perfect work. 

We can sit down in the middle of a mess and snuggle our kids and tell them we love them. We can cook a less than perfect meal. We can let go of our expectations of the perfect birthday party or a pinterest perfect house. Breathe. Long deep breaths. Enjoy the sunshine. Enjoy Christ. And if your day is less than ideal... like mine... know that this too shall pass... and One day we will be with Christ... and it will be perfect. Until then. Hang on. Hold onto hope. He's not finished with us yet. He's promised to never leave or forsake us. And that dear sisters is a promise worth holding onto.


Comments

Popular Posts