Running to Jesus.

For those of you who don't know me... I love to write.  here are some titles for my books I've been coming up with lately:

Ambulance Chaser: My life inside ambulances

The First 5 Years: How One Woman Survived Chaos,Trauma, Grief, and Gave Birth to 4 children

 "No, I'm NOT a chronic liar, this really is MY LIFE."

Okay, I'm playing around, but not really.  This has been crazy and when I talk to people, people don't know what to say to me.  That's okay.  I don't know what to say either... because my life seems just a bit unbelievable.  

Okay, whose wondering what happened on Monday... raise your hand.  This is what happened.  Sunday night Michael was alarming but didn't require tons of stimulation... he was able to take a breath or bring up his heart rate on his own.  Monday morning though the activity on the monitor increased and he needed a bit of stimulation.  The nurse came over on Monday morning and assessed him.  He had a doctor's appt. at 3 in the afternoon.  On the drive over he alarmed 7 times.  He was fine in the doctor's office.  His pediatrician and I discussed the surgery as a more probable likelihood.  Well, I went to Target which is less than a mile from the doctor's office to pick up medicine for Michael's reflux.  He alarmed on the way in.  He alarmed at the pharmacy twice in less than 5 minutes.  I walked around and he kept alarming.  At this point I was very concerned.  Every time I would walk to the car he would alarm.  He was having color changes.  He would stop breathing.  His heart rate would drop.  I finally called his pediatrician and told him what was happening.  He told me to call 911.  He said do NOT get in your car!

Once again the Chesapeake Fire Dept. came to my rescue.  They had great response time.  Their ambulance drove me straight to CHKD!  What a blessing.  (Often they would have had to go to Ches. General Hospital and then they would transfer me to CHKD because you're supposed to go to the closest facility... thankfully they just took me straight there and cut out the middle man and saved time!)

The EMT in the ambulance asked me about my life.  She asked me why I  was so calm and at peace.... um, hello?  Is this the perfect opportunity to share about my life and what God has done?!  It was.  I was able to  point her to the One who sustains me!

When I reached the hospital Michael need continuous stimulation and oxygen so that he wouldn't slip back into apneas and bradys.  His color was changing from pink to white to gray to blue/purple lips when not stimulated.  He was transferred to ICU that night and was given oxygen.  They're going to try and put an "In-D" tube in... which bypasses the stomach and goes straight into the duodenum.  This way he won't reflux and his lungs will be clear for surgery.  The surgery is called fundoplication surgery... here is some more info.

During fundoplication surgery, the upper curve of the stomach (the fundus) is wrapped around the esophagus and sewn into place so that the lower portion of the esophagus passes through a small tunnel of stomach muscle.  This surgery strengthens the valve between the esophagus and stomach (lower esophageal sphincter), which stops acid from backing up into the esophagus easily.  This allows the esophagus to heal.
         -This procedure can be done through the abdomen or the chest.  
         -This procedure is often done using a laparoscopic surgical technique.

So anyway, the plan is to get the surgery as soon as the next available slot is open.  They're hoping tomorrow.  We'll see.  Till then Michael is doing well.  He's in "good spirits"... he's on a nasal canula and getting room air but using a half liter to create some stimulation.  Mike has been staying with him during the day and at night.


So besides traumatic ambulance rides, over-exhausted and confused toddlers, being in the ICU at CHKD, having 3 doctors appointments this week, life is pretty much normal.  Thankful for God's sustaining grace.  

 


Comments

Anonymous said…
Fresh manna for the morning says: "let me hear of your unfailing love each morning, for I am trusting you. Show me where to walk, for I give myself to you. Rescue me from my enemies, LORD; I run to you to hide me. Teach me to do your will, for you are my God. May your gracious Spirit lead me forward on a firm footing. For the glory of your name, O Lord, preserve my life. Because of your faithfulness, bring me out of this distress. In your unfailing love, silence all my enemies and destroy ALL my foes, for I am your servant." Ps 143:8-12
And as your heart cries out, give us this day our daily bread....physically, mentally and spiritually, I, your Abba Father Who loves you with everlasting, all-knowing love, have heard and I delight to give my precious children good gifts. I have prepared a banqueting table before you in the presence of your enemies...and my banner over you is love. Come and dine!! And your heart will declare, Lord, I extol You for Your great power toward us who believe....Your invincible power that works in us and for us....the same Almighty power You used when You raised Jesus from the dead and seated Him at Your right hand, ever making intercession for us. Give me your glory....and power....and I will continually express You to the world. Yes is in my heart. Strengthen my weak knees. We walk through this together .
Anonymous said…
His eye is on the sparrow....the lilies of the field....so, I know He cares for me. Now I see through a glass darkly, but someday-----WOW! But in the meantime, Lord, thank you for Your amazing, divine plan designed in love for me and my family before you made the earth. At just the right time, You birthed us. May we feel, touch, taste, and see Your father-heart of love for us right now as our heart cries out to you....our Very Present Help in time of need. Kingdom of God, come and invade us for Jesus sake with the healing He purchased for us to have through Calvary. Thank you, Lord for this all- encompassing healing which we so desperately need, right now. Standing with you dear ones....always and all ways
Bethany said…
Goodness Jenn!!!! I have only gone through this with one...and short term at that. I can only imagine the load you are under. I can see through your words that God is sustaining you and what an inspiration and witness you are to others. Remember God only gives you what you can handle he must know you are quite the girl of faith. You are the mother of so many little miracles. Imagine the faith and testimony this is building in them. I really can't wait for the day we see the big picture of all that is going on in your life.

We love you and are praying for you.
Anonymous said…
Jen...You poor child...you have so much to deal with...hang in there and you are in our prayers...Jers (for the Gang)

Popular Posts