cupcakes & God.


I made cupcakes with Libby a few days ago.  After we made the batter and poured it into the cups we put them in the oven.  That's when it began... "are the cupcakes done?"  No, honey.  "Are they done now?"  No, Libby.  "Are they done yet?" and so on and so on.  I was amazed at how many times she asked and how quick she was to think that we were withholding from her.  She assumed we wouldn't tell her when they were done.  I had told her she could watch me take them out of the oven, that we would let them cool and then frost them with pink frosting and put sprinkles on them.  And yet she persisted.

It struck me as I was sitting on the couch hearing her whine, beg, plead, and make absolutely positive that they weren't finished baking, how much she was like me.  I'm so quick to assume God is withholding.  I am so afraid I'm going to miss out on the good thing God has for me.  I'm afraid I'm going to miss it frankly.  I'm afraid He doesn't know what He's doing.  I'm anxious about when it will be done, when it will arrive, when this burden will be lifted, when this trial shall pass...  

But it's a process.  And I'm not done yet.  I just need to wait patiently.  Patiently.  Just like I told my daughter... "Be patient, honey.  It will be done soon."  And so I will wait.

Psalm 27:14 "Wait for the Lord; be strong and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!

Hebrews 13:20-21  "Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd fo the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen."

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you for sharing, Jennifer.
This is a really timely post for me.
It is good to wait for the Lord.

"Be still before the Lord and WAIT patiently for Him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way..." (Psalm 37:7)

It's also really easy to compare ourselves to other people when we're in a time of waiting. "Why don't I have what they have? Does God know?"

Another verse I found is from Isaiah: "Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who WAIT for the LORD shall renew their strength."

This verse doesn't say "those who ANXIOUSLY TRY TO FIGURE OUT THEIR PROBLEMS shall renew their strength" or even "those who KEEP PUSHING AHEAD AND SUCK IT UP shall renew their strength" but it says: "THEY WHO WAIT FOR THE LORD shall renew their strength."

How kind God is to remind us that all we need is in Him. He is our strength. Our help. Our refuge. Our peace. Our victory in the midst of defeat.

Oh yes...and our lives are not our own. They belong to HIM. :)

Thanks for sharing. Love you much.

Can't wait to see you all soon.

kels
Anonymous said…
Good reminder, thanks

Popular Posts