Buttermilk Pancakes.


Growing up I can remember almost every Sunday (or it felt like that) we would have buttermilk pancakes after church. So when I was recently presented with a quart of buttermilk from Trader Joe's that had just passed it's sell-by date I knew what to do.

I couldn't find my parents recipe but I went to my go-to online cook: allrecipes.com

And there it was Mom's Buttermilk Pancakes

The cook gives this description: "These pancakes are passed down from my grandmother, who was fully Scandinavian. They are light and fluffy, and great with berry syrups. I have made these for years as a special treat, and I hope you enjoy them as much as my family has."


I used a white whole wheat flour (from my favorite flour company: King Arthur Flour).

I love that the recipe has NO SUGAR in it! I would definitely go with her suggestion of a berry syrup because it's not a sweet pancake. They were delicious though. Light and fluffy and with the my whole wheat flour it felt very hearty and healthy... but not "healthy" in a cardboard way :)

This is a perfect week-end pancake... supposed to be savored among friends and paired with a delicious coffee or hot chocolate. A berry syrup would be perfect and maybe a light sprinkle of powdered sugar.

Ingredients

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1 1/8 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions

Preheat and lightly grease a large skillet or electric griddle.
Mix the flour, salt, and baking soda together in a bowl. Add the egg, buttermilk, and butter; stir together lightly, but keep it lumpy. The batter should look thick, spongy, and puffy.
Drop 1/3 cup of the batter onto the cooking surface, spreading lightly with the bottom of the cup. Cook until lightly-browned on each side, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 210 | Total Fat: 7.9g | Cholesterol: 71mg

Comments

Lizzy said…
sounds yummy, light, and healthy! luke & i will have to try this recipe out sometime! thanks for sharing =)
Anonymous said…
mmmmmmmmm.....those sound delicious =D

Popular Posts