Adjustment.

It's interesting how easy it is to forget what physical pain feels like. It was a while... probably 15 months ago when I had felt serious, intense physical pain... giving birth to Peter... you know the whole contraction thing. It hurts.

So I guess I was taken aback (excuse the pun) when I hurt my back on Tuesday morning. I was in agony. I couldn't get comfortable. I couldn't forget I was in pain. I couldn't distract myself. My doctor prescribed an opiate to help with pain relief. It didn't touch it. I was miserable.

I saw my Chiropractor on Wednesday morning. She said my lower lumbar had completely gone out of alignment and my hips were also out of alignment and I was pinching nerves that created the shooting pains, numbness and tingling in my legs to my toes.

After the adjustment I felt so much better. I still feel sore. It hurts. But nothing like it did on Tuesday. I barely use pain medicine. I'm trying to take it easy. I can't lift over 20 pounds. But I feel like a different human being.

I no longer am asking someone to put me out of my misery. I am no longer the lame horse that needs to be put down. And as awful as physical pain is I was thankful to be reminded to pray for those I know who suffer chronic pain. My heart has grown in compassion for those who have physical pain and suffering. How gracious of the Lord to remind me that there are more people than me. Oh yeah. Imagine that.

It's amazing what a difference an adjustment makes. How often in my life do things get out of sorts. My heart. My emotions. My marriage. My parenting. My friendships. My attitude. My perspective. My soul. I need a regular adjustment. A daily adjustment. I have to align myself to God and stop looking to myself and to that which is in front of me. I need to look up. Hold onto Him and know that He is sustaining me. He will continue adjusting me. He will continue transforming me.

(2 Corinthians 3:18 ESV)


And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.





Comments

Popular Posts