"Back" to Bed.

I was getting dressed this morning when I experienced a  weird pop that then traveled down my spine. I was in so much pain I could hardly catch my breath. All I could do was yell for Mike. I couldn't move. I felt like I was going to fall down but I could tell that would feel painful as well, instead of relief.

I have pain shooting down my legs as well as numbness and tingling all the way to my toes. Needless to say this experience has been anything but pleasant and our plans for the day have all been put on hold.

The plan was for me to take Ian to school this morning and then proceed to work on my writing til noon. That changed so Mike was going to take Ian to school this morning but because of my "back event" there were serious delays getting out the door and he was caring for Michael as well. It made no sense to take Ian to school and then come home and then have to go back out again.

Then factor in Michael.

Michael has been sick since Friday. This week-end he complained about his left ear. I took him to the doctor yesterday and he has a pretty bad ear infection. He's on antibiotics. He's staying home today but he's definitely on the mend.

When my back began to hurt the first thing I thought of was my dear friend Jessica. Jessica has experienced years and years of back pain. I don't know how she has coped through it. The pain I've been in for a little over an hour has left me feeling undone and she has had to bear this type of pain for a huge part of her life.

About a week ago I had this fantasy of being on bed-rest again. I thought, "oh wow... if I could just lay in bed and read my books or watch movies and just chill out". But this was NOT what I had in mind. I forget when you're in pain like this or when I was on bed-rest during my pregnancies that you're not really in a place to enjoy being in bed... you're miserable.

I hope to get to a chiropractor if Mike can take me... if someone can watch the kids.

I hear Peter babbling on the monitor... glad he's happy because I can't pick him up if he starts yelling. Mike will be home in a half hour with medicine and what-not.

It really sucks to be in pain but I'm thankful to be reminded that this has not been my daily lot... and to remember that so many people suffer. I'm blessed to know that if not today then tomorrow I can go to the chiropractor. And I can start feeling a little of the strong pain reliever I'm on. And God willing this too shall pass.

Comments

Popular Posts