Wow. It's been a while since I've posted. I took Michael to the doctors almost two weeks ago. They put him on oral steroids and antibiotics. It's seemed to help a little bit. Samuel had surgery on December 3rd. It went well and was very smooth. He was then kept inpatient for chemo for a couple days. I was able to take him to clinic this past Friday for the first time. I had Peter with me as well and I think things went rather well all in all.

My sister's birthday was the 7th. She would have been 28. I had a good day. Well, it started off with major tooth pain so I ended up at the dentists and found out I needed a root canal. I was given a prescription for antibiotics and vicatin. I got to have time with my Mom that day as well as time with my dear cousin Sharon. I also had a few friends over that evening. Sometimes it's hard on special anniversary dates to not feel pressure to make it super special and significant somehow.

(BTW- if this isn't making sense it's because it's almost 1 a.m.)

I feel pressured that I have to grieve perfectly and that it all has to be contained to Dec. 7th (her birthday) and March 7th (her death date). That really isn't fun. And it's hard when there are some days that I'm just sad and miss her... I feel like I can't. Like I'm just limited to two days a year. I don't know if that makes sense.

Today was another day of special tradition... making Christmas floral centerpieces with my Mom, Aunt, and cousin. My Mom, Libby, Peter and I drove down to North Carolina. It's so fun putting together the centerpieces. It's one of my highlights over the holiday season. I also love just getting to spend time as family. Libby was enthralled to play with my cousins children... so fun :)

The Oncology Department had a special date night for the parents. We went to a Japanese restaurant for a Hibachi meal. I had filet mignon. Peter did great and slept the entire dinner. It was really fun to enjoy a delicious and free meal :) Cancer might stink but the Oncology Dept. at CHKD tries to make it better :) I'm really thankful for the staff there.

Well, of course much more is going on... Samuel might get a blood transfusion on Tuesday or they might wait until his admission during the week-end. We'll see.

Will write again when I'm not so tired.

Comments

Caren said…
morning Jen! Im so glad you posted an update...I thought of you all on Libbys birthday...she was such a wonderful person. Im glad you all have such great memories of her...praying for you all...Merry Christmas!
Rebekah Judd said…
Jennifer! I was struck by your comment of feeling pressure to grieve in a certain way. Girl, I'm praying you don't feel that kind of pressure. Your sister will be missed every day because that's how often you expected to have her in your life. Be released!! Grief is surprising, friend. It doesn't limit itself to a day on a calendar. Feel free to have a surprisingly fun and amazing day on March 7th and then cry your eyes out on April 3rd. Your friends will think of you often on those "big days", but our Friend Who Never Slumbers or Sleeps will always be grieving right alongside you. Love you!!

Popular Posts